1. Our quotations are produced with as much detail as possible to avoid any misunderstandings. If something is missing that you would like included, please let us know and we will revise the quotation accordingly. Any additional works found necessary are to be agreed with the client and a separate revised or 'extra to contract' quotation provided.
2.1 Contractor: The ‘contractor’ is Simon Thompson t/a Handy Fixers, here on referred to as Handy Fixers.
2.2 Client: The ‘client’ is a person or entity seeking goods and/or services from the contractor.
2.3 Quotation: A quotation is a formal offer made by the contractor to the client within a hardcopy or electronic document, headed with the title ‘Quotation’, no other document is intended to be an offer and is not recognised or may be relied upon as such. A quotation price may alter if unforeseen circumstances arise which lead to greater costs being incurred by the contractor.
2.4 Estimate: An ‘Estimate’ is a formal offer made by the contractor to the client within a hard copy or electronic document, headed with the title ‘Estimate’ or ‘Estimation’’, no other document is intended to be an offer and is not recognised or may be relied upon as such. An estimate is an estimation of cost, not a definitive quotation and may be subject to variation or change. By accepting an estimate or estimation, the client acknowledges and agrees that the final charge may be lower or higher than the price indicated on the estimate or estimation and will be fully liable to make the requested final payment as per items 1, 2.5 and 13.
2.5 Contract: A contract with Handy Fixers constitutes an offer by the client, to purchase goods and/or services in accordance with these terms and conditions. The Client is deemed to have read and satisfied themselves of the accuracy and content of the contract offer in terms of specification, charges, price and meaning of terms and descriptions as outlined in a ‘Quotation’ document headed and conspicuously identified as a ‘Quotation’, ‘Estimate’ or ‘Estimation’ provided by Handy Fixers. The Client acknowledges that they have not relied on any statement, promise, representation, assurance warranty or offer which is not set out in a document supplied by the Contractor titled ‘Quotation’, ‘Estimate’ or ‘Estimation’. Any verbal estimate given to the client by Handy Fixers will always be supported by a written quotation or estimate. Also see item 13.
2.6 All written quotation's, estimate's or estimation's are valid for a period of 30 days from their noted "Date of Issue". No document over 30 days old will allow the client to enter a contract with the contractor. See item 2.5
3. Working Arrangements: All prices quoted are calculated on the basis of free access and unimpeded working during our normal working hours (9am – 6pm, Mon – Fri) unless otherwise agreed.
4. Both the contractor and client to agree practical arrangements on working methods that provide minimum disruption to the client and allow work to be carried out efficiently by the contractor.
5. Free access is required for delivery of building materials, plant, machinery, contractor / sub-contractor parking and skips etc.
6. All building and other materials provided by the main contractor or their sub-contractors remain the property of Handy Fixers until full and final payment is received via bank transfer, cleared cheque or cash. Unless otherwise agreed in a quotation (or other document), surplus building materials, waste materials and off cuts etc. remain the property of Handy Fixers or our subcontractors or our suppliers. After final payment the client takes ownership of the materials used to carry out the work only.
7. Access to and collection of used or unused building materials, equipment and plant etc. remains in place until full and cleared final payment is received.
8. Accepting a written quotation, estimate or estimation from Handy Fixers and agreeing to the commencement of works will allow these terms and conditions to come into affect. The client or Handy Fixers may withdraw from the quotation offer prior to commencement of works without sanction or penalty, however any deposit paid by the client will be used to pay for any bespoke materials ordered on the client's behalf and any bespoke materials under these circumstances will be forwarded to the client to include delivery costs. Any document produced by Handy Fixers without the heading 'Quotation', ‘Estimate’ or ‘Estimation’ will not be recognised or accepted as a valid offer of quotation, estimate or estimation and will not form a contract, please see item 2.5.
9. The main contractor, being Handy Fixers, may employ both direct and sub-contracted labour to work on site. Each individual contractor takes full responsibility for their own third party liability. The main contractor will oversee all works to completion and takes full general and operational responsibility in the running of any contract agreed with the client.
10. Payment: Payment can be made via bank transfer, by cheque or in cash and a receipt for payment will be given. Please make all payments by cheque payable to ‘Mr S M Thompson’. Bank transfer details can be found in the middle of your invoice. Payment in full is due upon completion of the contract and presentation of the associated invoice. Part payments, interim payments and deposits will be agreed prior to commencement of works or during the contract duration. A down payment is not usually required however arrangements may be made for a down payment in respect of the acquisition of bespoke or high value materials and in some other situations. Interim payments and final payment on completion of a contract is not reliant on the presentation of completion certificates with respect to ELECSA, GAS SAFE or Building Control Completion Certificates as they are subject to third party administration by the Local Authority etc. If a payment is not paid in full according to an agreed payment schedule Handy Fixers reserves the right to terminate the contract and will recover all monies and costs owed by the client.
11. Insurance - Public Liability: Public Liability Insurance is provided up to the sum of £1,000,000 by Simply Business Insurance – Policy number ZUBI3125921XB1.
12. All client information is retained in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and all personal and other client details will remain confidential.
13. In the event of unforeseen difficulties arising, or any other circumstantial changes, the quotation price or estimated cost may be revised to reflect the situation at hand before or after commencement of work.
14. Guarantees: All customers will benefit from a full guarantee on our workmanship for a period of 12 months, the guarantee covers new build work only and does not apply to repair work, renovations, restorations, refurbishments and alterations carried out unless agreed in writing before the start of any contract. Repairs to any existing workmanship or related fixings, structures or materials are not covered by our guarantee. Guarantees on materials run in accordance with manufacturer's warranty periods where applicable. Our guarantee covers all new work and new materials used in construction but does not guarantee the integrity of any existing structures, materials or decorations. In the event of a failure beyond the guarantee period we will be happy to investigate the cause and negotiate a solution to the problem without delay (if it is found that our company is wholly responsible for the failure) and carry out any agreed repairs as soon as possible. Charges may apply for remedial work carried out beyond guarantee dates or to items not covered by our guarantee. Decorations are signed off on completion and not covered by guarantee.
15. No responsibility is taken by the contractor for the presence of perished, infested or rotten timber (or any other perished, rusty, infested or rotten materials) in existing structures such as doors, constructional or other timbers, windows and frames whether detected or undetected at the time of contract.
16. Extras will only be undertaken further to both full discussion with the client, and, verbal or written agreement, and charged at the agreed rate.
17. Protection of existing surfaces (floors, carpets, curtains, doors and furniture etc.): Whilst Handy Fixers, and any sub-contracted labour, will endeavour to protect existing surfaces with the use of dust sheets and loose plastic sheeting etc. along with care in our working practice, responsibility for protection from damage of any existing surface or fabrics etc. is the responsibility of the client. Arrangement can be made to put in place protection of existing surfaces, over and above our basic cover, at a negotiated additional cost.
18. Contract duration: An approximate duration time for work to be carried out can be found on our quotations. The 'Contract Duration' or 'Hours of Labour' is to be used as a guide only and will not affect the agreed contract price i.e. if a contract takes longer than expected no extra charges will be levied unless previously agreed and conversely if good progress is made and a contract takes less time to complete than expected then client should not expect to receive a discount. See item 19.
19. Discounts and retentions: Prices are based on the understanding that no retentions are held unless previously arranged and authorised. No main contractor or sub-contractor discounts are given unless agreed and confirmed in writing.
20. Handy Fixers reserves the right to terminate an agreed contract if the client is in breech of these terms and conditions.
21. We will endeavour to employ a helpful attitude at all times and will always attempt to bring any works to a satisfactory conclusion as soon as possible taking into account weather conditions and availability of specialist materials and unforeseen circumstances etc.
21.1 The contractor's staff, either employed directly by Handy Fixers, or supplied via a sub-contactor, have the right to be treated with dignity and respect and should be allowed to undertake their prescribed duties and roles without fear, intimidation or hindrance. Any breach of this, by the client, or anyone associated with or by the client, will immediately terminate the contract. See item 20. Upon such a breach then Handy Fixers will seek to recover all monies and fees owed as per the contract. If deemed necessary Handy Fixers may, at our sole discretion, contact the police and or our legal representatives to peruse the matter through the Courts.
22. The above terms and conditions apply to Handy Fixers.